donnandjodyinTN

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

February Happenings

Today we took a little adventure trip to the Children's Museum in Oakridge which is truly a special place and is fun for children and adults alike. It is a hands-on experience for children with many exhibits and a lot of history information. I am sure we will go again and maybe I can take some of our neighborhood children. Maybe I'll even do some volunteer work there at some point.

We also found information about special activities in the area like The Secret City Festival the 3rd Friday and Saturday in June which celebrates the end of World War II and the heritage of Oak Ridge from 1945 to the present. We plan to take this in this year And then there is the Secret City Scenic Excursion Train whic offers a ride through beautiful East Tennessee on a railroad built 60 years ago for the historic Manhattan Project. You can learn about the birthplace of the atomic age on a narrated one hour ride. It promises to help on experience history first hand, to be fun and educational and great for all ages. Little by little we are getting to know the area we are now living in.

Winter here is a little colder than Charlotte. We did have some snow stick on the ground over night this week but it was all melted by noon which beats having to shovel it!! Our trees are showing buds and I am sure it will not be long before things starting greening up again.

We have finished the tax season early with receiving our refunds back this last week. Jody continues to do well on her job which is on the edge of Knoxville. She was delighted today to get the option of a different shift. She has to work 12 hr shifts but does not seem to mind as she gets 2 days or 3 days off in a row.

I am not getting bored with "retirement" yet. We are doing a Bible study together and hope to start one in the neighborhood soon. I continue to work with our jail ministry outreach from my church as well as marking papers for Crossroads Bible Institute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home