Settled in TN
Retirement Blessings & New Opportunities 10/2006
Dear Friends,
As the reality of retirement came close I soon discovered that I needed to make some new plans. It was a scary time as I contemplated what to do and I was depressed for a short time. How kind and merciful the Lord has been. He has provided so abundantly for me. My house in Charlotte sold quickly and we were given much help with the moving process. However, with the big transition in process I did not get out my usual Christmas greeting, and so I am really trying to start early this year.

Last December 15 I completed 25 years of working a the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. The transition to Charlotte was not the easiest, but I am glad that I made the move and for all the blessings that have been my portion in working for BGEA for so many years; it would take a book to share them all! Maybe I'll do a photo book via Kodak The Lord who always know the beginning and the end had a new plan in mind as I sought to give Him my concerns and anxieties about the future.
Dear friends from Minneapolis have played a big role in bringing me to my new home in Clinton, TN. Bob and Jean Hamlett were actually neighbors of mine there as well as fellow members of Bethlehem Baptist Church. After I got somewhat settled in Charlotte, I decided to see how near they were to us since they had moved to Tennessee. A five-hour drive did not deter me from finding them. I fell in love with their lovely location in a mobile home really close to the Clinch river. I think we joked about my retiring here some day. The thought of making another move was certainly not appealing, but in due course financial pressures made me very willing to consider such a possibility. Over time I made a couple more visits with my house mate, Jody. Jean’s sister lived next door to them and was promoted to her heavenly home last year. Soon after that Jean invited us asking us to consider making a move to live next door to them. We visited again and decided it would be a good move for both Jody and myself and I officially retired from BGEA April 15.
With the help of many dear friends in Charlotte we ventured to Clinton, TN with a large U-haul and my car on April 29. We thought we had down-sized quite a bit but have had to do more of that!! Most things have found a resting place in our most delightful and restful spot beside the river. I feel like I have my own private tree house with a deck almost on the river's edge. If there were fewer trees you could cast a fishing rod in the river from the deck. However, I'm not really a fisherman yet but I did find a little fishing rod of my dad's in the trunk of my car! Who knows, I may try one day. The neighbors seem to be catching some.
My home now is a new Amish built mobile home. It is 16' wide and about 70' long with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a nice living room and kitchen. I can see the river from the living room and my kitchen window as well as from the deck. My favorite spot is the deck. We get some shade from trees we can reach out and touch them. Thinking long-term, I had a ramp access built on the other side. At the same time I see retiring as “retreading” for new opportunities of ministry and keeping as active as possible.
Finding a new church was not so difficult as the Hamletts were involved in a good Baptist church in Oak Ridge about 10 miles away. We are joining this church which offers solid Bible teaching and is very active in outreach. I anticipate sharing in some prison ministry to a women's prison nearby in addition to continuing my work with Crossroads Bible Institute which offers Bible correspondence courses to prisoners around the world. The church is a small one but growing. They have bought land for a new building and will soon break ground for it. We had a wonderful missions conference in July.
Getting resettled has taken a lot of energy and time. In the midst of it all I have taken a couple of trips. I went to California for my nephew Charles' graduation from the University of Southern California in May. And then in June Jean (my neighbor). Jody and I drove to Minneapolis to visit family and friends. Also, there was a special memorial for Jean's husband, Bob, who died March shortly before our move. We also had a brief visit in Nashville when we took Jean to the airport there when she went to Winfield, IL where there was a special farewell for her grandson and his wife who were going to Yemen for missions work. They are safely there doing language study and adjusting to the culture there. Jean's granddaughter, Ann is also there. I can share up-to-date communication with them via my computer which Jean appreciates.
The longer we are here, the better we like it. Clinton is a town of about 10,000 with lots of antique shops. We are about 10 miles from Oak Ridge where our church is located. Knoxville is about 20 miles away and is much easier to get around in than Charlotte was.
I was able to get good medical insurance right away and Jean recommended her doctor to me. That was good as my left hip had flared up with all the extra activity of moving. I have been going to a good therapy center right here in Clinton. I am doing much better. It is not a joint problem but a muscle. My insurance just ran out but I have found a wonderful fitness center nearby which has a junior Olympic pool as well as a therapy pool and all kinds of exercise equipment. They offer a special rate for seniors and Jean is going with me three times a week. This should help us keep in condition I think.
Jody has found a good full-time job with benefits. She went to a job fair and got this job on her first interview and she is most grateful. She has her own e-mail box now: jodyann6@bellsouth.net.

It is not hard to find our place. Do stop by if you are traveling this way--we can offer bed and breakfast! Clinton is Exit 122 off of Interstate 75 just north of Knoxville. Then 61 W. just beyond where US 25 crosses; about a mile on the left by Clinton Rentals with a blue roof! There is a small church on the other side of the road.
Our new address: 314 Lakefront MHP, Clinton, TN 37716; Phone 865-463-2585. New E-mail is donnamae7@bellsouth.net.
A BLESSED THANKSGIVING ,CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR SEASON TO ONE AND ALL!.
“The meaning of Christmas is Immanuel--God with us, the Word becoming flesh. Just as one can analyze the tiny sunbeams and discover in it the chemical make-up of the vast sun, so I look at Jesus Christ’s life and know what God is like. A little boy expressed the miracle of the incarnation thus, “Jesus is the nicest picture God ever made.”
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home